Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Week #3 thing 5,6,7

I had a great time playing with flickr and picnik this week. I would like to spend more time learning about the sets and tags feature as I am finding with all of this great technology, organizing it in a way that I can effective use it, can be problematic. The Big Huge Labs site was full of great tools. I find myself wondering how can I get kids to use this in school. Would they need to have a google account? Each student now has a google account through our school so that they can use google docs, but we have had some problems with student access. Is there a liability issue that we need to think about? I love the ability to use flickr for teaching aids and I use flickr to find great pics for my wikispace, but I wonder about expanding it to student use. Does the district's permission slip cover it. I guess I would need to do an additional permission slip for each application that I want students to use. Since most of the programs need an email, that can be a problem for student accounts. 
Hmmm . . . things to consider. 

1 comment:

  1. Safety and permission issues are thorny at the k-12 level. One person had a permission form that listed the apps that they were planning to use and if they required an email. Parents could opt out of all or specific ones. Also, talk to your school's EdTech contact as there are some forms already developed for Web2.0 tools. I think one of the keys is having a standards based reason for using it and keeping your principal and BTC or SecTech in the loop.

    Also, I think it is CH 7 or 9 of the text talks extensively about safety and security issues with schools.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete