Monday, March 23, 2009

Week #4 thing 8 and 9

RSS exploration. Finally, I am learning about RSS. I still have a lot to explore, but after playing around with many different sides of the RSS function, I feel like I can at least ask some intelligent questions.
I wanted to find a current RSS feed for new YA book reviews and so I located Professor Nana's site and linked it to my classroom wiki. I restricted the feed to 3 items so that it was easier for students to manage and am really excited about this addition. It took me multiple attempts to make this happen. I was happy to find out this was a wiki issue, not a user issue. phew!
I set up my google reader and have some personalized feeds now. 
I am finding that I keep moving back and forward through the discovery exercises, as I am completely random. The result is continued image generator posts, or maybe that is my next "thing" to post about.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that until I did this class myself, I didn't get why I should be excited about RSS. Now I am a serious convert. There is no way that I could keep up with these class blogs without RSS. I also find, however, that I have to be really choosy about which feeds I do for my personal account. Otherwise, there are so many that I just mark them all read without actually spending the time to read any of them.

    I follow Terri Lesesne, Joyce Valenza, Doug Johnson, and UnShelved regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I will check out those bloggers. I am looking for up to date literacy teaching strategies and ya book reviewers.

    ReplyDelete