Monday, April 13, 2009

Week #8 Thing 19

Library Thing rocks. I KNOW my students would love putting together their libraries. The chance to get quality recommendations and maybe start a group of just our team students would be really fun. This is soooo much cooler than the small black plastic container I have that holds 4X6 cards where they record their reading books for each quarter . . . soooo much cooler!!
The most impressive result I have had from my wikispace use for our reading program is that students are reading more books that they claim are more interesting. I know this is because they are consistently seeing what others are reading and my strong readers who are excited about their books have become contagious! If we could add Library Thing accounts to really show off what they have read and to assist them in getting their NEXT great book, I think it would further support my more reluctant readers while adding that fun bit of information and competition between my stronger readers. I can just hear them comparing libraries and saying things like, "How many books do you have in your library?" All in good fun!

2 comments:

  1. That collaborative sharing is so critical.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the areas I like about Library Thing is the reviews are written by an average reader. Review writing is a different form of writing than essay, book report or a lab report. Some students might excel at this form of writing. While others would get more out of reading the reviews.
    Some reviews could be classroom discussion starters to a book. I am glad to find someone who thinks Library Thing is soo coool!!!
    Leslie Gale

    ReplyDelete